Stoner smoking a joint

WeedPornDaily Guide to Washington’s Recreational Cannabis

Washington Initiative 502 (i502) was approved by voters on November 6th, 2012 after enough signatures were collected to reach the ballot. The initiative will “license and regulate cannabis production, distribution, and possession for persons over twenty-one; remove state-law criminal and civil penalties for activities that it authorizes; tax cannabis sales; and earmark cannabis-related revenues.”

Possession and production of cannabis under the age of 21 is still illegal under state law. The initiative also enacts a new DUID standard for driving under the influence of cannabis, where delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol levels greater than or equal to 5 nanograms per milliliter of blood (5ng/mL) is defined as impaired.

Possession and Growing

Anyone over the age of 21, resident of WA or not, is allowed to possess and privately consume an ounce of dried cannabis (nugs, leaves, etc), 16 ounces of pot-infused solids (edibles), 72 ounces of pot-infused liquids (tincture) or 7 grams of concentrated cannabis (hashish, BHO, etc). Growing at home however, is still illegal for anyone (except for licensed medical cannabis patients). In order to legally grow cannabis, a license must be obtained from the State Liquor Control Board.


There is a 25% excise tax on each level of distribution, from production to processing to retail. Whereas 2 grams of dried cannabis might have cost about $30 before tax, the price is about $40 after taxes.

All surplus revenue generated through taxes has been explicitly earmarked for health care (55%), drug abuse treatment and education (25%), marijuana-related research at University of Washington and Washington State University (1%), most of the remainder going to the state general fund like building bridges.


If a police offer has reasonable suspicion to believe that the driver is high on cannabis — whether they smell cannabis in the car, notice signs of cannabis use, actually observe reckless/impaired driving, etc — the driver may be subject to a roadside sobriety test. If the driver fails the sobriety test for any reason, they may be taken to get their blood drawn to determine the delta-9-THC content in their blood. If the concentration of THC is above 5ng/mL, the driver will face the consequences of the DUID. While they test for active metabolites(delta-9-THC), the inactive metabolite THC-COOH, also known as carboxy-THC” is explicitly excluded from consideration.

Where can I buy legal weed?

334 retail licenses were made available through a lottery system. Only 14 stores in western Washington and 10 in eastern Washington have received licenses to sell cannabis. The licenses were distributed early July 7th, 2014 and the shops were legally allowed to open on July 8th, 2014. So far, only two have opened officially — Top Shelf Cannabis and Cannabis City. The phone numbers of each store can be found here.

  • Whidbey Island Cannabis Company — 5826 S. Kramer Rd Ste, Langley, Wa
  • Westside420 Recreational — 4503 Ocean Beach Hwy, Longview, Wa
  • Verde Valley — 4007 Main St., Union Gap, Wa
  • Top Shelf Cannabis — 3857 Hannegan Rd., Bellingham, Wa
  • The Happy Crop Shoppe — 50 Rock Island Rd., East Wenatchee, Wa
  • Spokane Green Leaf — 9107 N. Country Homes Blvd, Spokane, Wa
  • Space — 3111 S. Pine St., Tacoma, Wa
  • Satori/Instant Karma — 9301 N. Division St., Spokane, Wa
  • New Vansterdam — 6515 E. Mill Plain Blvd., Vancouver, Wa
  • Margie’s Pot Shop — 405 E. Stueben, Bingen, Wa
  • Main Street Marijuana — 2314 Main St., Vancouver, Wa
  • High Time Station — 1448 Basin St. Nw, Ephrata, Wa
  • Green Theory — 10697 Main St. Ste B, Bellevue, Wa
  • Green Star Cannabis — 1403 N. Division St., Spokane, Wa
  • Freedom Market — 820a Westside Hwy., Kelso, Wa
  • Creative Retail Management — 7046 Pacific Ave., Tacoma, Wa
  • Cascade Kropz — 19129 Smokey Point Blvd., Arlington, Wa
  • Cannabis City — 2733 4th Ave S., Seattle, Wa
  • Bud Hut — 1123 E State Route 532, Camano Island, Wa
  • Austin Lott — 29 Horizon Flats Rd., Winthrop, Wa
  • Altitude — 260 Merlot Dr., Prosser, Wa
  • 4us Retail — 23251 Hwy. 20, Okanogan, Wa
  • 420 Carpenter — 422 Carpenter Rd., Lacey, Wa
  • 2020 Solutions — 2018 Iron St., Bellingham, Wa

How do I grow weed or sell it?

A license is required in order to produce, process, or sell cannabis recreationally. However, an individual is not allowed to hold more than two types of licenses at a time (either grow and process, or grow and sell, but never all three). A license may be obtained from the Washington state Liquor Control Board for $250 annually, with a $1000 renewal fee. Any other restrictions or additional information may be found or requested here.